donderdag 20 augustus 2009

Foody Friday, tasty chicken salad


More then 10 years agoo there was an exposition of Antique American Quilts in Brussels.
Of course there where also shop and in one of those stalls I bought a cookbook called "The quilters cookbook". It contained recipies from quilters all over America. This has become one of my most used cookbooks and it learned me how to bake and cook with cups.
My cake baking has increased immensely since.
This recipie comes also out of that cookbook.
Chicken salad
Start with a grilled chicken or gently boil 2 to 3 fat single chicken filets in some chicken stock.
I always do the latter.
Clean a whole green celery and chop in 1/2 inch pieces
Add half a pound of green seedless grapes.
You could add a can of waterchestnuts. This was in the original recipie but is hard to find here.


Then make the dressing.
Add to some good mayonnaise, 1 heaped teaspoon of curry powder, juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, and 1 spoon of sojasauce.Taste.
Mix well en pour over the salad. Mix and let it stand overnight or at least a few hours.

Just before serving you chop up an iceberg lettuce and mix with the other ingredients.
Serve in a bowl of the outher leaves of the lettuce.
This is truly a great and easy to make salad what you can make in advance and is good to take to a potluck lunch.
It has become a staple in our family .

14 opmerkingen:

susan zei

I am so glad you visited me! This does sound like good chicken salad! We do have some strange food names, but I bet you would like hushpuppies! I think the capers sound wonderful in the tartar sauce and will give it a try!

Cindy zei

Ik krijg al honger.... :)

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst zei

Thanks for visiting my blog. The chicken salad looks yummy!

Tammy518 zei

I love chicken salad and this recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks for visiting me!

Pat@Back Porch Musings zei

This looks very good. We love chicken salad!

Shellbelle zei

Wen I first came to your blog today and saw the first picture, I thought that looks like the start of Waldorf Salad. It is the start, but finished differently. This sounds delicious and I love grapes in chicken salad.

If you haven't heard of Waldorf Salad, do a search for the recipe. The original didn't have chicken, but it common to find it that way now. It has the celery and grapes (red ones), but also sliced apples and walnuts. The recipe has been around for since the late 1800s in America.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Shirley zei

This would make a great meal for a hot summer night. It sounds delicious.

Mary Bergfeld zei

How wonderful your chicken salad looks. I'm always looking for a new chicken salad recipe and yours sounds delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Patricia @ ButterYum zei

I can taste it now!

Unknown zei

I love the idea of curry in chicken salad.

SmilingSally zei

This sounds like an excellent recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Joyce zei

Fast and easy are two little words I love. Thanks for sharing the chicken salad with me.
Joyce

Splashes of Pink and Mint zei

Mmmmm..... dit ziet er heerlijk uit! Bedankt voor het recept, ga het zeker eens uit proberen!

Alea Milham zei

Chicken salad is one of my favorite foods. Instead of only having one favorite recipe, I love trying new versions of chicken salad. Your recipe looks delicious and I am putting it on next weeks menu!